POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) : Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:18:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 8 Mar 2007 12:46:54
Message: <45f04c0e$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>I figured I should post it anyway.
>
> IMO the problem is it's only blending to the adjacent cell, and it always
> uses pov's cubic curve rather than trying to maintain a smooth gradient.

Yes, I was hoping to control that with a poly_wave n statement after a
cubic_mapped pigment_pattern, but it didn't work out very well. The
cubic wave is still expressed in the same way, only shifted one way or
another.

> If
> I'm understanding correctly Vincent's technique was actually doing cubic
> interpolation, rather than just using cubic_wave (which isn't equivalent)...
>
> Of course I'm saying all this without checking anyone's source code, but
> since it's based on my blended cells I would expect it to create curved
> steps where there should be a smooth gradient, which would cause the problem
> you're seeing.
>
> Wow I explained that really badly!

Maybe so, but I understand why there are steps. I don't like it, but at
least I have the newest version of MegaPOV now. It supports bi-cubic
interpolation for image maps :)

~Sam